Neon
Thread PR is an innovative fashion public relations company based in the West
Midlands. What makes Neon Thread stand out over it's other competitors is that
it has a very niche client base by working with only emerging fashion brands
and recently graduated designers, both focusing on womenswear.
My Video Pitch
Market
Research
I conducted a focus group with 5 fashion students from
Birmingham City University.
1. What
resources/opportunities/organisations are you aware off that can assist you
with career progression within the fashion industry?
"I find whilst at university, we are helped a lot to
prepare for our future careers, for example they encourage work placements and
networking however, after university, there is little support. I know that
there are other support networks such as NEWGEN but there is even competition
to apply for support programs.”
2. What are your
thoughts on self-employment to carry on designing you're own work?
“I think that's most fashion students aspire as we have
worked so hard for years to develop our own styles and ideas. Eventually, we
would like our collections on the catwalk and worn around the world. However,
that is a very optimistic view and most students feel dampened by the
competition.”
3. What funding
are you aware of which can assist you with developing your own designs?
“I know there are grants available from the British Fashion
Council to develop designs and collections. I also know there are also various
scholarships that you can apply for with bigger organisations.”
4. Have you ever
considered using a PR company to assist with promotion if you were to carry on
developing your collections and designs?
“That is an option which we could consider and has been
discusses previously within a module (at university). If you were able to get
funding to obviously pay for the service then that could be a good investment
in the long run.”
5. What are your
thoughts on the fashion industry at the minute in terms of career prospects?
“I think
most students will stay in fashion. Those dedicated to their own collections
will obviously go ahead and work towards production and distributing their
garments. Due to the unpredictable nature of self-employment, especially
straight after university, I think some students might look towards a career
within retail management.”
Competition
I have actually
not found any PR companies that have a target clientele as niche as mine.
However there are many PR agencies out that that do offer PR to new womenswear
brands. One example of a competitor is Mad PR based in London. http://www.madpr.co.uk/
I
recently Met Sophie Johnson, founder of Mad PR who informed me of how she started
her fashion PR company and gave me tips on setting up Neon Thread PR. Within
PR, it is usual for organisations collaborate on projects. As I already have
contacts with established PR agencies – competitors might actually be able to
assist with the launch of Neon Thread PR.
SWOT Analysis
Strengths
- From research there is no other PR company in the UK exactly like this.
- Due to the very niche clientele, strong and specific relationships can be built with clients, hopefully meaning the business can expand in future.
- There is a range of media that could be targeted with my niche client base.
- Due to Neon Thread also being a new business, the rates will be cheaper during the initial year to gain a good client base.
- I have had a lot of experience working within fashion PR and I am establishing myself as PR professional within the fashion PR and media industries.
Weaknesses
- It’s a new company so it might not seem as credible as other available PR companies
- Young graduates may not have the funds to pay for my services.
- It might be hard to make a profit due to the current financial climate.
Opportunities
- I have contacts within the fashion and media industries at international and local levels that I can collaborate with if needs be.
- The business is based in Birmingham which has a large population of existing fashion students. It is also close to London if there is a need to travel there.
- There is not much necessary funding needed for initial start-up meaning costs will be low.
Threats
- Competition within the fashion industry might sway students from progressing with their own designs and collections meaning they might look to other employment opportunities.
- Change in technology might have an effect on the business
- There is no initial funding planned – which might be needed in reality.
Marketing
I have already set up a website which you are
currently seeing. It does need further content uploaded onto it which I shall
prioritise. This shall be the first thing potential clients and media contacts
will see, therefore it should be up to date content wise and fully branded. I have also created a Twitter account @Neon_ThreadPR.
I am to launch the brand across all social media platforms in the near future.


No comments:
Post a Comment